Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Texas Alphabet: A for Aloe

The idea for this alphabet post series comes from ' The Alphabet of My Emigration' by Dee Dorota L., member of The Polish Ladies Abroad Club, who has relocated to England.
I have also decided to join the project and write about My Texas Alphabet twice a week.

This week I am planning to have more alphabet posts than two, as I need to catch up with the pace of the project. What is more, the letter which comes after 'A', in the Polish alphabet, is 'Ą' . Obviously, it is not part of the English alphabet so I thought, I would have two 'A' entries instead.




Aloe Vera is the only plant that I have managed to grow successfully on our patio, in the heat of the Texas summer. Well, the only one so far. Since it is a succulent, it enjoys the hot sun rays and does not need much watering. Once a week is enough. Watering is not the problem, though, I could do it more often if it was required. 
We used to have  a couple of Aloe plants at home in Poland. I liked them - they were rather old, but not too large, despite their age. Besides being decorative, Aloe Vera is also quite a good medicine (topical use) which heals minor skin burns - from sunburn to 'kitchen burns'.

I am wondering how big our succulent will grow, considering the local weather conditions. I like gardening and enjoy the beauty of flowers and other plants. I only need to find some other heat-proof ones which would be able to stand up the Texas summer. Soon, I will get a bigger pot for this Aloe Vera, to let it 'stretch its legs' and enlarge properly. Maybe it will bloom too?

'Ą' entries by Polish Ladies Abroad (in Polish)

Dee/ Nie zawsze poprawne zapiski Dee: 'ą jak w początku'
Anna / Zaczynam od początku: 'ą jak ąę'

UPDATE:

Our aloe plant grew big and, as you can see in the photo, we sometimes used it as a second Christmas tree. Sadly, the winter freeze in February 2021 killed our PT and it is no more.

The little plant pot is the original one/size of the aloe plant when we bought it. Later we had to replant it twice - place in in bigger pots.

Our beautiful PT

3 comments :

  1. Czy jest jakaś szansa, żebyś zaczęła pisać po polsku? ;) Angielski nie do końca do mnie przemawia. Boję się, że mogę coś źle zrozumieć;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Większosć moich tutejszych znajomych, nie mówiąc o rodzinie, nie zna polskiego. Planuję jednak wpisy po polsku w ramach tekstów 'Klubu Polki'. Dziękuję za zainteresowanie i pozdrawiam serdecznie :).

      Delete
  2. I have one too! It's my first aloe plant ever and I love it, especially because I don't have to water it too much ;)

    ReplyDelete