Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Texas Alphabet: A for Air Condition

The idea for this alphabet post series comes from ' The Alphabet of My Emigration' by Dee Dorota L., member of The Polish Ladies Abroad Club, who has relocated to England.
I have also decided to join the project and write about My Texas Alphabet twice a week.




I always wonder how people managed to survive Texas summer heat when they had no air condition. Especially in the early pioneer times, when they had no electric fans either. Cooling systems make the hot and humid weather conditions less oppressive and miserable. And I do very much appreciate the positive sides of the AC and the fact that it helps survive the summer days, and nights also. It simply makes breathing possible. On the other hand, it is not my favorite technology invention at all.
I have noticed, most Texans place themselves as close to the cooling systems and fans as possible. The closer, the better. I do the opposite. I do not like when the cool air is blowing straight on myself. I am simply not used to it and the cool air flow makes me suffer: I am cold, feel uncomfortable and get a headache. That is why, when in public places, I try to avoid that closeness as much as I can. Which is not easy - there are plenty of AC holes in each (e.g. restaurant) ceiling, not to mention a million fans cooling the air as well. Sometimes the air happens to be so cold that, if I could, I would put on a winter hat to cover/protect my head. And sometimes I did use a scarf....

My AC 'allergy' must be found quite weird by some locals. Fortunately, my husband understands it. Anyway, it happens we need to change seats when the 'air conditions' is too shivery (according to me only of course). Sometimes, it also causes a kind of awkward situation, when a person hosting us at their place tries to be kind and make me feel comfortable and places a big fan very near me. I always appreciate the hospitality and care, so I hate to tell them I do not enjoy the fan treat.

I think a reason for my AC intolerance might be connected with the totally different climate conditions I am/my body is used to. It was much colder (both in the summer and in the winter) where I lived most of my life.  When you needed fresh air, it was enough to open a window, and the air condition was not needed at all.
According to my theory - in Texas, a cool breeze means relief because, most of the year, it is extremely hot here. Where I used to live - the chilly wind meant danger to the body (especially when it was freezing outside) - possibly cold and sickness. Maybe, that was why my body was programmed in a certain way and still reacts like that, despite the change of climate conditions around me. I do not know, but I have learned that I need to sleep under a (thin) blanket, even during the hottest Texas season. If I do not, and use the usual summer bed-sheet only, I quickly get sick. But I am not complaining. Oh no.

All in all, I am glad we have a good AC system in our place. Luckily, it is possible to adjust it to my 'likes' so I am able to enjoy its advantages too. And soon, the time of the day will come, when it gets unpleasantly hot outside and inside. And I will need to turn on the air again. Glad I can!

'A' entries by Polish Ladies Abroad: 

Dee / A jak Anglia 
Anna Maria / A jak mój ulubiony mąż
Gabi  / A jak AIESEC
Agnieszka / A jak... Agnieszka w Ångermanland
Kropka / A jak Addison
Anna / Anna postanawia znaleźć Alternatywę
Justyna / A jak Alex 
Anna / A jak Ameryka
Karolina / A jak Aquitaine 
Viola / A jak Abstrakcyjne rozwiązania
Joanna / A jak Adaptacja
Jagoda / A jak Algeciras – port na Cieślinie Gibraltarskiej po hiszpańskiej stronie
 

11 comments :

  1. I have exactly the same thing with AC - I sit as far as possible from it, I have headache if I sit too long next to it, I even turn it off for the night as I hate the noise. But it would be horrible though to live without AC in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I envy you your hot texan weather! AC is a very last thing you would need in England. I would recommend an umbrella 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something which is very rarely needed here - an umbrella :)., but actually it is raining today. A cold front has come and it is going to be 'only' 29C today. Sending you some Texas sunshine :)

      Delete
  3. We need an air conditioner in the worst way in Texas, and we get this company to come out and make sure that we have a working unit every year. They come out to help us with the air conditioner every year, and we always have the cold air that we need because we have the appointments planned in advance.

    Rosa Nelson @ HVAC Services Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good AC system is a kind of blessing. In the summer I always think of the old pioneer times when people had no cooling at all. How hard it must have been!

      Delete
  4. The Texas heat certainly takes some getting used to! And I certainly understand that, living most of your life in a different climate, you're more sensitive to the cold and try to stay out of it. As a Texan, I can't say that I relish the cold any more than the heat.

    Randall Rogers @ R J Heating and Cooling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting used to it all. :)
      Looking forward to Texas spring warm temperatures when the weather is just fine - not too hot, not too cold - almost like summer in northern Europe...

      Delete
  5. That's why I like air conditioners that are a lot easier to regulate. I hate having to get up and turn the AC on, then off, then back on again. I am used to a mild climate so too hot and too cold are neither for me. As long as I can regulate the AC temperature fairly well, then I don't have to worry.

    Ambrose @ Brown & Reaves Services, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it comes to Air conditioning the term "Inexpensive" remove from it. BTW the article is great.

    Heating and Cooling Hamilton

    ReplyDelete