Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My Texas Alphabet: I for Ice Cream

The idea for this alphabet post series comes from ' The Alphabet of My Emigration' by Dee Dorota L., member of The Polish Ladies Abroad Club, who has relocated to England.
I have also decided to join the project and write about My Texas Alphabet twice a week.




During the long, hot and humid Texas season cooling your body is a must. That is why iced soft drinks are basic coolers, drunk daily by everybody. Before coming to Texas, I did not like cold tea and never had it. Of course, the climate conditions were totally different in northern Poland. Cool temperatures and cold weather required drinking hot tea - to warm up and avoid catching a cold.
The Texas summer made me learn to like cold tea and a lot of ice in my glass of coke. It brings such relief and helps survive the heat.

Another heat survival aid is ice cream. The toasty weather gives a good excuse to have it more often.
When on the road, it is nice to stop at a McDonald's place and have their vanilla ice cream, which is plain but quite refreshing.

Still, the treat which I like best is an old-fashioned banana split made and sold at Braum's. Actually, it is my great Texas discovery - a dessert that is decadently delicious and enjoyable - real heaven to my taste buds. One serving of banana split is so big that I am not able to it all on my own. So I  always share it with my husband who very much enjoys the dessert too.

For those of you who do not know: an old-fashioned banana split (with everything on it) consists of:
a split of a banana covered with three big scoops of ice cream (one scoop would make three European size scoops): vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. The vanilla scoop is decorated with marshmallow topping, the strawberry ice cream is covered with strawberry sauce and the chocolate scoop is coated with chocolate topping. Then there are also two big scoops of whipped cream, two cherries, pieces of strawberries, and nuts (or almonds). Totally wonderful!

Braum's places are also in Arizona, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas

Talking about ice cream, I need to mention the brand which is my favorite one, considering the ice cream sold at grocery stores. It is Blue Bell, which was originally made in Brenham, Texas. Unfortunately, last year the ice cream was recalled (by its manufacturer) from all the stores, due to some serious bacteria problems and possible health risk connected with it.

I have tried quite a few Blue Bell flavors, but I like homemade vanilla and banana split best. Nevertheless, other ones (e.g. buttered pecan and mint) are tasty too. According to the information published on the Blue Bell website, the ice cream is to be back in the local stores on November 2. Hopefully, my favorite kinds of ice cream will be available again soon. I am going to update this post with a picture of a Blue Bell treat, as soon as it is possible.

More info:
Braum's website
Blue Bell Ice Cream website 

Update - December 2015

Blue Bells have already been back in stores!

Other 'I' posts by bloggers of the Polish ladies Abroad Club:  

Dee / I jak I 
Jagoda / Inspiracje Językowe
Gabi / I for Internet // I jak Internet
Justyna / I jak Iced Chocolate
Sylwia / I jak Ironia losu
Anna Maria / I jak inność




2 comments :

  1. Blue Bell has been back for a while! My favorite flavor is chocolate chip cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to see them on the store shelves again. I like many of their flavors. They are good :-).

      Delete