Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Texas Alphabet: Z for ZZ Top

The idea for this alphabet post series comes from ' The Alphabet of My Emigration' by Dee Dorota L., member of The Polish Ladies Abroad Club, who has relocated to England.
I have also decided to join the project and write about My Texas Alphabet twice a week.





I have always liked the music by ZZ Top and their image as well. However, it was not long ago when I learned they are a Texas band who originate in Houston.

Many years ago, a song by ZZ Top was the first music piece that I used in English classes to create a listening comprehension exercise. When I told my students (it was a new group which I had started teaching that semester) that we would watch a video in class, they expected it would be a boring educational program (I could hear their comments). They were really surprised to hear ZZ Top and see one of the band's music videos. Among others, the kids were to answer some questions related to the lyrics and the visual part of the video. They were very much into the exercise - listening to the song and watching the clip. Needless to say, that class was a success. ZZ Top was a key to it.
I know those students had never watched/listened to rock music in a class, so later, they had something to talk about as well.


Since then, quite a lot of times, I have shared some of my music favorites, disguised as language exercises, with different groups of students. They always seemed to enjoy it. Even if, sometimes, they happened to find a band/ kind of music a bit vintage.

The song/video by ZZ Top mentioned above was "Legs".
Mind the socks the main girl character wears in the second part of the clip. I used to have similar socks - they were white with pink lace at the top. And I also wore them with pink high heels. No, I did not do it/buy them because of the video. I just had them (quite unaware of the ZZ Top part then) - it was simply part of the fashion trend. And I found them cute too.



No comments :

Post a Comment