Saturday, January 9, 2021

Memories: Carnival Balls

This post was inspired by the blog ABT - UNK created by Ms. Amanda Pape. Not long ago, while doing genealogy research, I came across the blog pages and the old photos Amanda had presented there.

When I was a little girl, every year in January, on a Saturday during the Carnival time, mom's workplace (and all the workplaces as well) organized a Carnival ball for the children of its employees. The ball was always fun - there was St. Nicholas, music, dancing, games with prizes, and goodie/candy bags for each child. Colorful and fancy paper hats were a fashion must during such a ball. Parents could purchase them for the kids at the ball venue, usually, it was a stall next to the cloakroom.

I enjoyed it all, including the hats.

1970


 The little man (a few years younger than me) was the son of mom's colleague.

The same picture colorized with the MyHeritage software - originally, the dress was blue.


 

1972

Mom styled my hair for the ball - she used paper strips and beer to make my locks. I liked them. 

During that ball, I took part in a song contest - Mom worked for the Navy then. 

 What song I sang, I cannot recall but I did win the contest.

After the announcement of the contest results - I was surprised and happy.

At each ball, there was also a photo session with Santa called St. Nicholas. 



1975

St. Nicholas always wore a long red robe, and did not look like Coca Cola Santa at all.






 


2 comments :

  1. Wonderful old photos! Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Amanda. I do find your blog inspiring.

      Delete