Thursday, May 25, 2023

About Childhood Rhymes

When I was little, my mom tried to teach me the German language. Being a kid, I found some German words to sound funny then, but I still remember the rhyme she taught me.

"Eins, zwei, Polizei
Drei, vier, Offizier
Fünf, sechs, alte Hex
Sieben, acht, gute Nacht
Neun, zehn, schlafen gehen,
elf, zwelve, Gotthelf."


While playing in the yard, we often recited counting-out rhymes in Polish. My favorite one is perhaps the one in which words have no meaning in this language besides the word "tabaka" ("snuff"). However, the word is used here to give rhyme only, not to make any sense at all. 

"En-ten-tino,
Sa-ca-ra-ca-tino,
Sa-ca-ra-ca i ta-ba-ka,
en-ten-to.
Ranibusek, ranibusek,
en-ten-to."

On the words "ranibusek, ranibusek" [pronounced: rahneebooseck], the kid who was counting out stopped doing that, and with their hand, made two "air circles" in front of their belly. Then, continued counting out again.

Whilst reading the book "Krasna Amerika"* (Beautiful America), I came across this counting-out rhyme in Czech which words are more or less meaningless as well. I quite like it. 

"Angle, pangle, verkum, pek,
štaple, makle, šlaka, flek."
 

šlaka = slag
štaple= staples
flek = stain
The words "angle" and "pangle" seem familiar in English, however, are pronounced differently [a:ngleh, pa:ngleh].

Can you remember any rhymes from your childhood?

Photo: Historic school in Kashubia, Poland.

*"Krasna Amerika: A Study of the Texas Czechs, 1851-1939" by Clinton Machann, James W. Mendl, Eakin Press, Austin, Texas, 1983"

No comments :

Post a Comment