Sunday, June 21, 2020

Brown Vest Mystery

Have you ever experienced anything strange you could not or found difficult to explain?
Here is my story.

2012 - second half of the year

I bought a winter piece of clothing in an online store in Poland. A nice and warm vest it was - a piece of clothing good for chilly winter days. In Texas, however, the vest spent most of the time in the closet - warm Texas climate/winters made it stay there, resting on a hanger.



2020 - wintertime

Last winter I came across a folded piece of the paper which had been hidden in the inner folding of the vest.

The folded paper had been hidden in that corner like in a pocket

The paper had been stuck there for all those years. I was stunned when I saw what was written on it. The piece contained some information written in Polish about a late lady by the name of Zdzisława Piekarczyk. Here is the translation of the text.

March 5, 2011 age 70 Zdzisława Piekarczyk

- survived by husband Tadeusz, daughters Jola, and Ania, grandson Alex
- in 1 and a half months she would have celebrated a golden wedding anniversary
- raised in the Truth, baptism 1951, mom learned the Truth straight after the war


What was she like?

Modest, humble, easy-going
- hospitable (Pioneers, NP ???)
- selfless (served meals at a construction site)
- supported her husband who served as an elder



Here is the other side of the paper.


When I found the note I had a feeling that it was me who was meant to find it.

How come?

I have no idea.

I have no idea who the lady was and why somebody placed that note in the vest folding.
What religious group did Mrs. Zdzisława join? Was it JW or maybe some other congregation?
I am also not sure about (Pioneers, NP). In Poland, there were no Pioneers (the youth organization which worked and was popular in Russia). However, we did have Polish scouts. Maybe Zdzisława was a girl scout? Another thing is the NP acronym - no clue what it was supposed to mean.

Certainly, the note was written by one of the late Mrs. Piekarczyk's daughter.

How did the paper end up in there/ beneath the vest folding?

Here are my ideas for possible explanations.

1. The daughter worked in a packing facility of the online store and placed the note as a memento, to make her mother be remembered/share the word about her?

2. The vest was bought earlier by somebody else. Maybe then it was worn by the daughter at Mrs. Piekarczyk's funeral or memorial service. The previous lady used the folding as a pocket, where she kept the eulogy ready to be read at the service. Later, the note was forgotten and the vest was returned to the online store?

How it really was I have no clue. The other side of the paper is a mystery too. The names and the numbers look like some kind of a register. Is it a part of a cemetery register? I have tried to find those names (including a Zdzisława Piekarczyk) in the online records of Polish graveyards but did not succeed. I guess, the paper will remain a just stunning mystery.




4 comments :

  1. Very interesting! So many questions but so few answers. I love these kind of mysteries, however, I am not so good at solving them. I hope you can find more about this note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far no answers found... Hope the Internet will help to solve that.

      Delete
  2. Wow, What an interesting mystery to solve! It makes me wish I had an extensive background in Polish history or language. I would love to help you solve it! I think I will share this post on Twitter with my genealogy circle. There might be someone who can help you.

    ReplyDelete