Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Anton Dybowski and His Prussian Infantry Unit

My great-grandfather Antoni (Anton) Dybowski was born in the territory of Poland which had been taken over by Prussia due to the Partitions of Poland. I neither know the date of his birthday nor where exactly he was born. Possibly it was the nowadays Kuyavian-Pomeranian region of Poland as he lived with his wife Bronisława and daughter Irena in the Toruń area.


When WW1 began, Antoni was appointed to the Prussian army. In the picture below we can see him (last row, the man in the middle) and his fellow soldiers, probably before they were sent to the war front.



Grandpa did not come back from the war, he was killed during the fights. I tried to find out where and when he fell, therefore I searched the German archives of WW1 casualties.

To my surprise, the searched results showed nine entries regarding nine men of the same name Anton Dybowski. To make it more difficult, eight of them were from the Toruń region. Studying the records, I could eliminate four Antons who were wounded but did not die. The information about other four you can see below:

1. Anton Dybowski
Page number: 12020
Edition: 937
Date: 13 April 1916
Place: Koncheitz, Thorn (present Kończewice, Toruń district)
List: Prussia 505
Regiment: Reserve Infantry Regiment 53, Company A
Status: missing
Gov Id: KONITZJO93GE

2. Anton Dybowski
Page number 15477
Edition: 1203
Date: 12 October 1916
Place: Konchewitz, Thorn
List: Prussia 657
Regiment: Infantry Regiment 145, Company 12
Status: fallen
GOV Id: KONITZJO93GE

3. Anton Dybowski
Page number 4265
Edition: 365
Date: 14 Jan. 1915
Place: Leibitsch, Thorn (present Lubicz, Toruń District)
List: Prussia 125
Regiment: Reserve Infantry Regiment 59, III Battalion, Company 9
Status: missing
GOV Id: LEISCHJO93JA

4. Anton Dybowski
Page number 29394
Edition: 2348
Date: 28 Feb. 1919
Place: Drzonowo, Culm (Drzonowo, Chełmno District)
List: Prussia 1377
Regiment: Fusilier Regiment 40, Company 1
Status: missing
GOV Id: DRZOWOJO93IG
24.04.1898

After some further investigation, I decided to discard no. 4 as (according to the photos found on the net), the type of uniform worn by grandpa and the soldiers of his unit was not Fusilier but Infantry uniform. Besides, my grandmother and Anton's daughter was born in 1912. The date given in the record suggests that Anton no. 4 was born in 1898 - he was fourteen in 1912. It would not have been possible for a boy at that age to be a father of course but it all does not match. The uniform for sure.

Anton No. 1 and 2 were listed in the same village, maybe they even knew each other. However, records No. 1 and 3 say those men were missing. They could have been killed of course but their bodies were not found.

As far as I know, my great-grandmother received a message which clearly stated that her husband had fallen. It means Anton No. 2 is the one. I have tried to find out where were the 145 Infantry Regiment men in October 1916. One source says they took part in the Argonne Forrest, Fille Morte area. Another one tells they fought in the Vosges.

Mum told me a story which she heard from her mother, Anton's daughter. According to that grandma Irena (who was four then), had a music box on her bedside table. She had got the music toy from her dad. On the night when Anton died, the box woke little Irena up - it opened and closed itself three times, one by one.

I wish I could find out more about Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 53 and 59. All in all, it seems all of them - Anton No. 1, 2 and 3 fell somewhere in France.



4 comments :

  1. I read your post with interest, as I have been writing about WWI from the Canadian perspective. I watched the video all the way through, and I was struck by how different a perspective on trench warfare it presented, compared with the British trench poets I'm familiar with. Will you be doing more posts on WWI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing stories of how family historians solve the mysteries of their ancestral trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good sleuthing to figure out which one was your Anton. Great that you ahve the photo. I love the story about the music box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I have tried to reply to each one of them but somehow the Reply option does not work.
    1. The reality is very much subjective, everybody pictures it in their own way. I will come back to writing about WW! if I come across some more info on the ancestors.

    2. I try to do my best to solve those mysteries. Sometimes it it just a guessing game, though.
    3. The photo was in my mom's archives. Yes, the story about the music box is rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete