Tuesday, July 18, 2017

My Music ABC: T-Z


Writing about the letter 'S' I forgot to mention someone. I am going to write about all the missed musicians in the following post/posts of My Music ABC series.

Today - T

'Children of the Revolution' by T. Rex was probably their most often played song on the Polish radio. I like some other songs by the band as well but I learned about them later, after the 'Children of the Revolution' hit.



Thin Lizzy and their 'Whiskey in the Jar'. I guess quite a lot of younger music fans most likely do not know that it was the original version of the song, covered later by Metallica and others.

Tangerine Dream - a German electronic music band. Their Kiew Mission is one of # 1s on my Tangerine Dream list.


Classical T

I have always liked the music by Tchaikovsky. However, I first time watched a live ballet performance of his 'Nutcracker' when I came to Texas.

U

Uriah Heep - my all times number one music U.  Do you know that the name of the band has its origin in/was taken from the novel 'David Copperfield' by Charles Dickens? In that story, Uriah Heep was actually rather a lousy character, the band, however, wrote and sang so many songs which I really like. Great, epic ballads and more rock pieces too.



V

Vangelis, especially his works created with Jon Anderson. A superb duo and romantic compositions.



Andreas Vollenweider and his magical world of gardens, water falls and his Swiss harp music.


W

Wishbone Ash - wonderful tunes and my music W #1. I fell in love with their songs from the very first time when I heard them. It was 'Errors of My Ways' and others on a cassette with their first album Wishbone Ash. My friend gave that cassette to me when I told her I liked it a lot. She had bought the cassette for a kiss (a real story) from one of her (male) pals.



Jeff Wayne and his "War of the Worlds" - magnificent compositions (absolutely stunning in my opinion) based on the novel by H.G. Wells. I have always enjoyed listening to the musical version of that classic story. The music intro is totally amazing - the words of the novel read by Richard Burton, the string section and all the orchestra sounds, the lyrics of the songs give me goose bumps. It is so great! Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" reminds me old radio theater shows. While listening to the music pieces, I can almost 'see' it all too. It makes my imagination work and makes me emotional as well. And I need to mention, no sooner had I seen the original concert version than I listened to the music on the radio and on a CD.


I wish I had been able to see it live when it was still performed. Well, Jeff Wayne has been retired now but there are still videos and my CD to enjoy.

Y

When I visited Birmingham, quite unexpectedly, I had a chance to see Yes at their concert rehearsal. I was with a small group of other people and our guide - a Birmingham lady - sneaked us into the concert hall where Yes were working. We watched them from a balcony for a few minutes, then we had to leave of course. It was quite amazing. To be honest, I was surprised that Yes had been still performing. I like their music but (as it is with other bands as well) I have never tracked their career.
The album by Yes which I like most is Drama.



Z

The only non-European band in this post is ZZ Top. I wrote about them in one of My Texas Alphabet pieces.





T.Rex - Jeepster, Hot Love, One Inch Rock, Children of the Revolution

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear, Kiew Mission + the album Exit

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty

Uriah Heep - Lady in Black, July Morning, Gypsy, Look at Yourself, Easy Livin', Salisbury - album, Sympathy, Come Away Melinda, Tears in My Eyes

UFO - Doctor, Doctor

Jon & Vangelis - albums Short Stories, Friends of Mr. Cairo

Andreas Vollenweider - albums Caverna Magica, Behind the Gardens

Wishbone Ash - Errors of My Ways, Sorrel, Lullaby, Ballad of the Beacom, Warrior, Leaf and Stream, Throw Down the Sword, Persephone, Everybody Needs a Friend

Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII

Yes - Into the Lens/I am a Camera, Love Will Find a Way, album Drama, Owner of the Lonely Heart

ZZ Top - Legs,  Sharp Dressed Man, La Grange, Gimme All Your Lovin'


No comments :

Post a Comment