Wednesday, December 16, 2015

My Music ABC: A

I have been thinking of this post series for quite a while. Music has always been important in my life that is why I would like to mention it on my blog too. However, I am not going to write any encyclopedia-like or biography texts because you can easily find it somewhere else. I would rather tell you about the artists/composers that I like/have liked most, used to find them most interesting and on some moments of my life connected with their music.

At the very beginning, I need to say that my taste in music has always been quite eclectic and I have enjoyed listening to various kinds of bands, singers - music in general. From classical music to rock and some heavy metal. This may be found unacceptable by many music fans as some people tend to prefer one genre only. I do equally take pleasure in listening to a symphony orchestra and to a hard rock band. The experience is totally different and enjoyable in totally different ways.
Do not worry, I am not going to talk about each and every artist/group I have listened to - will choose a few considering each letter of the alphabet.

To sum up, from time to time, I will share my music side on the blog, trying not to bore you as well.



The Alan Parsons Project

In 1991 it was still the time when it was not easy to get interesting LPs at music stores in Poland. That is why, while visiting friends in Denmark, I was happy to buy myself one of my most favorite records: 'The Turn of a Friendly Card' by Alan Parsons Project. I had known the music very well and was quite excited about getting the LP. However, my friends had not heard about the group so, when we came back to their place, they kindly offered to listen to the album together.
We did not talk during the music perception. I liked it of course but, since the friends did not say much about it, somehow, I had a feeling they did not find it as interesting as I did. Well, maybe I was wrong but I was really grateful I could enjoy my LP at once and they were so nice to share it with me.
I bought something else then, but I will mention it in My Music ABC later - when I get to the letter 'P'.



The Animals
'The House of the Rising Sun' , of course, but I much more like 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'.


Accept
Somebody has told me that I must have a twisted personality to listen to such music. They did not know me at all - it was just their judgment. Maybe it was them who were twisted? Well, I still like some of the songs by Accept - let's say many - never liked all of them. 
Metal heart? Maybe - partly only.


 'I'm just a soul whose intentions are good;
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood....'

PS
I forgot to mention Adam & The Ants. Can anybody remember them? Their music was so full of a positive and jolly spirit.  I also liked their image and the costumes Adam and the band members wore. It was so much more interesting than the girly looks of most of the bands of the 80s! My neighbor - a girl at my age and of a totally different music taste - hated to hear Adam & The Ants when she popped in to visit me. She usually turned off my cassette recorder then. Anyway, I was quite happy when I got a (second hand) BRAVO magazine, brought by someone from Germany, with a poster of Adam Ant. I found it really cool so, of course, I displayed it in my room. And it stayed there for quite some time...



Follow my Pinterest Music board


Credits
Picture of 'Turn of A Friendly Card' album cover from: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Friendly-Card-Parsons-Project/dp/B000IOM1Z0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450284532&sr=1-1&keywords=the+turn+of+a+friendly+card;
Picture of 'Metal Heart' album cover by Accept: https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Heart-Accept/dp/B00138KBT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547573785&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+heart+accept
 Quotation from the lyrics 'Don't let me be misunderstood' written by Bennie Benjamin, Gloria Caldwell, and Sol Marcus.
Picture of Adam & The Ants album https://www.amazon.com/Antmusic-Very-Best-Adam-Ants/dp/B00000INLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1547573954&sr=1-1&keywords=adam+and+the+ants

No comments :

Post a Comment