Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Reading Time: 'The Prophet' by Kahlil Gibran

This is quite a different and amazing book. Meaning its content of course.

First published in 1926, written in a language which very much differs from contemporary English, considering both grammar structures and vocabulary. While reading it, I needed to look up some words in a dictionary to understand the messages of the Prophet better. He speaks to the people of Orphalese on all the life matters such as Love, Marriage, Parenthood, Work, Death, and many others. Each chapter contains some deep thoughts - a kind of philosophical approach - on what really important in life is. In a way, 'The Prophet' is like a compilation of the teachings by various philosophers of different eras. All in one.

Picture from amazon.com
Among the parts which I really like there are the words of
  • Love
"Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed.
For love is sufficient unto love."
  • Marriage
"Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music."
  • and Children
"You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams."

It is the kind of book which makes you think after reading almost every sentence. Of the importance and unimportance of what we do and believe in. You may agree or disagree with the author but his message makes you stop and consider what he affirms.

The Prophet is about to leave the island where he has spent twelve years. Reading the words on his departure made me think of the time when I had left Poland. Of course, I am just a lady, not a prophet at all, but somehow the words reminded me those days when I was to leave the country:

"In the stillness of the night I have walked in your streets, and my spirit has entered your houses,
And your heart-beats were in my heart, and your breath was upon my face, and I knew you all.
Ay, I knew your joy and your pain, and in your sleep, your dreams were my dreams."

"Fain would I take with me all that is here. But how shall I?"

Read some more of 'The Prophet' here.

No comments :

Post a Comment