Saturday, September 9, 2023

Everybody for Everybody?

I was brought up with the idea that everybody works for everybody. It means we are all affected by the results of each other's work, that is why everybody should do their job well.

Let's say a tailor makes clothes for bricklayers, doctors, drivers, and you name it. The tailor should work well not only to stay in business but also because he depends on the work and service performed by other professionals - bricklayers, doctors, drivers, car mechanics, and many others. And he wants their service to be of a good standard too.
 
 
I have been thinking about that for some time. Is the idea of mutual dependence lost totally, or is it maybe just an old-fashioned and extinct approach?

Recently, I had two pieces of jewelry repaired at Baublit Jewelers in Kerrville, TX. The items were not only very well mended at a fair price, but the old and dull-looking pieces were also made shiny and attractive again. The jeweler did a wonderful job fixing and restoring the lost beauty of my items. It seems the idea of trade honor still exists. Well, at least somewhere, and in some cases. 


4 comments :

  1. I don't see this as much either, but it does still exist. We have a bicycle shop in my small town that is honest and does excellent work. I had a flat tire, so we took it in yesterday, and suggested a tune-up as well as fixing the flat. The co-owner (young son of the original owner) put it on the rack, tested a few things, and said it did not need a tune-up! I appreciate that honesty - he could have charged me for one and I wouldn't have been able to tell if it had been done or not. Fixing the flat cost less than $25, and the bicycle was ready today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that! Is the owner of the place of an elderly generation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aleksandra, I'd say the original owner (now co-owner) is probably in his 50s, and the son is in his 20s.

      Delete
    2. Sounds promising with the younger generation following a good example.

      Delete