Tuesday, April 4, 2017

My Music ABC: P


First of all: PINK FLOYD. Especially their early albums.
Our very first record by Pink Floyd was Meddle. My sister, enchanted by Echoes,  bought it from someone (again - it was when contemporary western rock albums/bands were not available in music stores in Poland - ancient history almost 😀).

In 1991, while visiting Denmark I purchased a VHS cassette with their concert - Live at Pompeii. I had seen the concert on Polish TV and found the compilation of the visuals and the music magical. Beautiful.
Much later, when I was relocating to Texas, I brought the Pink Floyd VHS to Texas. Unfortunately,  so far I have not found a VHS player with a switch/an option which would allow viewing tapes recorded in the European format/system. I treasure the tape, though, hoping  I will be able to rewatch it one day.

My P no. 2 is The Police. I used to have a cassette with their first album Outlandos d'Amour.  Although the pieces by The Police which were written/composed later could be called more interesting and more sophisticated/mature, I still like those songs from their first record. Maybe it is just a sentiment connected with my teenage days. Maybe.

And then - PUNK. Yes, I listened to that kind of music as well. I still do - sometimes. I never looked like a punk rocker but I was keen on some of the punk rock tracks - the ones with more interesting/regular melody line (comparing to some which were mostly noise only).
My sister happened to know a punk rocker - well, he did not look like one on weekdays. He worked as a jeweler apprentice then. Well, I assume he changed his style on weekends when he attended a local punk rockers club called 'Little Sun'.

Anyway, when at the that guy's place, he played the songs by an underground Polish punk band called Kryzys and I did learn about them for the very first time then. At that time, you could hear punk music only on one Polish radio station (Program 3) which was more open to modern rock trends (Program 3). And I did like listening to it. However, they hardly ever played the music by Kryzys - maybe their songs were banned due to their lyrics. No, there was no bad language in them but they were full of allusions to the political situation in the country and the government at that time. What was more, the name of the band Kryzys (Crisis) had the other, unofficial part - 'of the communism'.

All in all, it was very politically incorrect and although it was not played in the media (there was no YouTube at that time either), the band (which was formed at the end of the 70s) became quite popular during their very short career.  Anyway, I found their songs a refreshing novelty and somehow I had them recorded on a tape too.

After so many years, while preparing this post, I searched for Kryzys on YouTube. Of course, they are there. My favorite songs - Telewizja (TV), Wojny Gwiezdne (Star Wars) and Mam Dość (I am fed up with it) brought back the memories and the sentiment connected with those old days. Well, do not be mistaken - I have always been a good girl....


Pink Floyd
Albums - A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall.

The Police - Outlandos d'Amour album + most of their songs.

PUNK
Kryzys - Telewizja, Wojny Gwiezdne, Mam Dość,
Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen, Anarchy in the UK, Holidays in the Sun
Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop, I Wanna be Sedated, Sheena is a Punk Rocker,
Sham 69 -  If the Kids Are United,
999 - Inside Out,
The Stranglers - No More Heroes, Peaches,
Generation X - King Rocker.

No comments :

Post a Comment