Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My Music ABC: O


The letter O means it is time to for Oldies. As most everything in this world, the meaning of the word 'oldies' is rather subjective.

When I worked with teenage students, we had a project on music. Each student was to make a presentation on their most favorite singer or band. The kids liked the project topic but one girl was sitting in the class and doing nothing. She told me she did not have a favorite musician. When we discussed it, I suggested she could make a project on any kind of music or band of her choice, considering singers who used to be popular in the past as well. Somebody mentioned ABBA as an example.

The girl asked then: 'Are they still alive?'.

That was what 'oldies' meant to her.

In my understanding Oldies = music from the 50s and 60s. When I was a teenager myself, every other Sunday, on the Polish radio, there was a two hour non-stop program with the 50s and 60s music. It was songs only - no commercials, no talking, just pure music. My sister and I always waited for those Sunday evenings - from 8 to 10 pm we listened to those oldies, and sometimes recorded them as well. It was our radio show, the only one which we were both interested in.


Other Os

Mike Oldfield and his 'Tubular Bells'.
OMD - 'Enola Gay'

Omega - there was such a Hungarian rock band. In Poland, they were famous for their song “Girl with Pearl hair”, and I guess, most people did not know anything else by Omega nor anything about the band. At least I did not.

Polish O

Oddział Zamknięty - it used to be one of my favorite bands of the 80s.




 Some 50s' and 60s' oldies (e.g. The Animals or The Kinks) were mentioned in previous posts so I am not going to repeat them here. Anyway, here is the hit parade for today (enough hits for at least one 2-hour radio show).🎵

Manfred Mann: 5-4-3-2-1 / Do-Wah-Diddy-Diddy / Sha La-La
The Byrds: Mr. Tambourine Man
Herman's Hermits: I Am Henry VIII I Am / No Milk Today / Can't You Hear My Heartbeat / World Without Love / East West
Peter and Gordon: Let It Be Me
Gerry and The Pacemakers: Ferry Cross The Mersey / You'll Never Walk Alone / How Do You Do It? / I like It
The Dave Clark Five: The Red Balloon / Glad All Over / Do You Love Me?
The Searchers: Love Potion No. 9 / Needles and Pins / Sweets for My Sweet / Sugar and Spice
The Tremeloes: Silence Is Golden / Here Comes My Baby
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich: Okay
The Archies: Sugar, Sugar
The Box Tops: The Letter
Simon Dupree & The Big Sound: Kites
The Fortunes: Seasons in The Sun / Ballad of The Alamo
The Zombies: Time of The Season / She's Not There
Small Faces: Sha La La La Lee
The Yardbirds: For Your Love / Still I'm Sad / Heart Full of Soul
The Easybeats: Friday on My Mind
Lulu: Shout
The Troggs: Wild Thing / Love is All Around
The Drifters: Saturday Night at The Movies / Stand By Me
Gene Pitney: Something Gotten Hold on My Heart
The Turtles: Happy Together
The Hollies: The Air That I Breathe
The Righteous Brothers: Unchained Melody / You are My Soul And Inspiration
Mamas and Papas: California Dreamin'
Ritchie Valens: Donna
The Everly Brothers: Bye Bye Love / Wake Up Little Susie / All I Have to Do Is Dream / Till I Kissed You
Cliff Richard: The Young Ones / Lucky Lips
The Shadows: Kon Tiki / Apache
The Shireless: Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Brian Hyland: Sealed With A Kiss
Paul & Paula: Hey Paula
The Cascades: Rhythm of The Rain
Rolling Stones: Angie / Paint It Black / Get Out of My Cloud
Carl Perkins: Blue Suede Shoes
Del Shannon: Runaway
Buddy Holly: Peggy Sue
Gene Vincent: Be-Bop A Lula
Jerry Lee Lewis: Great Balls of Fire
Brenda Lee: I'm Sorry
Little Eva: Locomotion
Ricky Nelson: Hello Mary Lou
Pat Boone: Love Letters in The Sand
Freddie & The Dreamers: I'm Telling You Now
The Crystals: Da Doo Ron Ron
The Kingsmen: Louie Louie
Trini Lopez: If I Had A Hammer
Bobby Vinton: Blue Velvet / Roses Are Red
The Four Seasons: Rag Doll
The Dixie Cups: Chapel of Love
The Shangrilas: Remember Walking in The Sand
Chubby Checker: Let's Twist Again / The Twist
Brook Benton: Boll Weevil Song
The Marvelettes: Please, Mr. Postman
Helen Shapiro: Walking Back to Happiness
Linda Scott: I've Told Every Little Star
Dion: Runaround Sue / A Teenager in Love
Ray Charles: Hit The Road Jack
Jimmy Clanton: Venus in Blue Jeans
Skeeter Davis: End of The World
Chris Montez: Let's Dance
Brothers Four: Greenfields
Johnny Tillotson: Poetry in Motion
B. Vee & The Shadows: Devil or Angel / Take Good Care of My Baby
Larry Verne: Mr. Custer
Johnny Preston: Running Bear
Dwain Eddie: Because They're Young / Rebel Rouser
The Everly Brothers: All I Have To Do Is Dream
The Chordettes: Lollipop
Johnny Horton: Battle of New Orleans
Mitch Miller Band: Bridge Over River Kwai / The Yellow Rose of Texas
The Fleetwoods: Come Softly To Me
Harry Belafonte: Banana Boat Song
Freddie & The Dreamers: I'm Telling You Now
Billy J. Kramer: Bad To Me
The Lovin' Spoonful: Summer in The City
The Mindbenders: Groovy Kind of Love
The Tokens: The Lion Sleeps Tonight

🎸🎶🎼🎸


No comments :

Post a Comment